Industrial robot automation is basically seen as being a brand new industrial revolution by many. No matter what your views are about this topic, the truth is that various automated robotics systems like robotic welding systems are currently bringing in some pretty interesting advantages that have to be taken into account. Robots offer increased productivity, flexibility and precision. Factories see quite a large boom thanks to collaborative robots as they work together with the human workers with the purpose of increasing efficiency and flexibility.
Statistics show that by the year 2018 we will see around 1.3 million robots used in many different industries. Robotic systems are now valued as an industry at close to 32 billion USD. This is definitely something we should remember and take into account.
Industrial Robot Automation Advantages
- Lower production costs – the ROI will be quicker, making the first setup cost a lot easier to deal with. Robots will increase speed and will have a high impact on production.
- Shorter cycle times – the manufacturing line becomes more efficient so the cycle times will be shorter. More can be produced in a much shorter time than what is available when working with human employees.
- Improved reliability and quality – the applications will work very well with high repeatability and precision. Products are manufactured with the exact same specification every single time and repairs will not really be needed.
- Reduced waste – because of the quality of work done by the robots.
- An increased safety – the robots can increase safety at the workplace. Many dangerous applications will no longer be necessary.
- More customers – because of the fact that the robots do more work, the company can have more customers.
- Floor space utilization – this is improved as footprint is decreased thanks to robotics automation in the entire production line. The processes become much more flow efficient.
Industrial Robot Automation Disadvantages
- A high initial investment – this is by far the most important challenge that the companies need to deal with. An initial investment will always be a lot higher as robotics have to be properly implemented into the operations of the business. Robotic automation has to be calculated while thinking about the greater financial budget of a company. The companies also have to think about possible maintenance costs. They can be high to deal with when the system is initially implemented.
- Not understanding initial needs – results will not be guaranteed if industrial robots will be incorporated. It is really important that the exact needs of the company are understood and considered when the system is implemented. ROI calculators are recommended and fully understanding the needs of the company is a necessity.
- Training needs – using robots means that some employees will have to be trained. You want to consider the amounts associated with this when you implement these robots.
On the whole, we are talking about the future of production lines in most industries. Robotics are influencing so many companies and those that do not make the necessary investments can end up with really big problems as the competition will not make this mistake.